Monday, October 4, 2010

kindness makes the world go 'round


 Kindness makes the world go 'round. Really, it's true. I received a care package from fellow-southerner Susan, professor of social work in Mississippi. She lived on St. Paul Island in the Bering Sea for five weeks, and she has a superb blog chronicling her experiences there. Before my interest in Little Diomede Island, I was interested in St. Paul Island, and so Susan answered a lot of my questions about the island. So, she knew what kind of survival foods I would need on a remote island -- chocolate, cashews, yogurt-covered almonds, EasyMac, rosemary crackers (which are already almost gone), shortbread triangles, peanut butter, tea, and chocolate wafers. I am overwhelmed by her kindness and generosity! Thank you, Susan!



 
My second care package came wrapped as a birthday present. You can see the stars on the wrappers. Who would send 36 packets of Fun Dip, a weird sing-a-long stuffed animal, and Galaxy Quest on DVD? None other than my sister. Some sisters are bound by blood, but my sister and I are bound by Fun Dip. It is our favorite candy. We have fond memories of Fun Dip because that is what our dad would bring home from the store for us every now and then when we were little. Fun Dip. Who doesn't love Fun Dip?

1 comment :

Suzassippi said...

Thank you so much for your kind words. You have no idea how much you (and Adrienne) inspire me. It is a little thing I do, but if it helps you sustain the course, then I am blessed.

I must confess to never having heard of Fun Dip. Maybe we did not have it in Texas, or maybe it is a generational thing. Regardless, I know how much I value my sister and the experiences we shared, so "Yeah, Sis!"