Saturday, March 5, 2011

the Diomede clinic

From Sunday through half of Friday, the island was without Internet service, phone service, and transportation. We haven't had mail since the 21st. Life here can be pretty inconvenient and claustrophobic at times. Adrienne and I spent a lot of time looking out the window. We baked and cooked a lot -- praline yams (an out-of-season dessert), Parmesan tilapia, and chocolate chip cookies. But throughout the week, I kept thinking of all the things I wanted to tell my friends and family, but then I realized I couldn't. I tried to be positive, but I really, really like talking to friends and family. I don't ask for a lot. Just communication. Five days without communication = not so fun.

But service is restored, although it is in and out at times. Yesterday evening was spent catching up with friends and family.

In other news, Adrienne and I visited Julie at the clinic. Diomede has one health clinic -- no doctor, no nurse. Julie is an excellent health aide and amazing woman who loves helping people.

Here are some pics of the Diomede clinic:












No comments :