Friday, June 14, 2013

aimmi | to be at home

The Iñupiaq word aimmi means "to be at home." 

1. Thai food. (Why doesn't Barrow have any Thai restaurants? There are so many Thai people!)

Thai food! (L-R: Grandma, Aunt Laurie, Mom, moi, "Seester" Carrie)
2. Movie theaters. My mom, sister, aunt, and I went to the theater to see 42, which is about Jackie Robinson. Part of the movie was filmed in my hometown! By the way, the movie is phenomenal! (Again, why doesn't Barrow have a movie theater? Nome has a theater, and it's smaller than Barrow.)


3. Family. Nuff said.

Seester and I. She gets my bizarre sense of humor, and I get hers.
4. Small town parades and festivals. Every Memorial Day weekend, Ringgold, Georgia, celebrates 1890s Day. I look forward to this annual celebration every year. You can buy locally made crafts and jewelry and eat really good (i.e. fattening) southern food. 

Yes, those are Confederate soldiers reenactors. Things die hard in the South.







See that sign? Yes, I had fried alligator and fried pickles for lunch. Good southern food!

Alligator. It's what's for lunch.
The local high school's color guard! 



Mayberry police car. :)

Yep, there was a Barney Fife impersonator. He was great!

No comments :