Saturday, April 2, 2011

sundry

Sunrise: 8:17 a.m.
Sunset: 10:02 p.m.
Temperature: -4 degrees

I am currently reading A Dream in Polar Fog by Yuri Rytkheu, a Chukchi writer. It is the story of a Canadian sailor who is stranded in Chukotka and is taken in by a Chukchi community. So far I am really enjoying it. There are so many things that make sense to me as I am reading. I can envision the landscape so well, and there are moments that I read and know exactly what Rytkheu is trying to express. For example, some days are blue this far north in the world. Literally, blue.

Rytkheu writes, "The air became more and more blue, as though someone enormous and invisible were thickening the color. The snow that stretched ahead was blueing, the bumps, the hillocks and snowdrifts were blueing, and the sky too, lighting up the stars; the blue seeped into the sleds' tracks, into the dogs, the harnesses, and Toko's face, framed by wolverine fur. Night was descending over the tundra."
 Everything blue.
 Among other things, this has been the week of care packages. The dentist has descended upon the island, making his yearly two-week visit, and he brought a box of fresh vegetables and fruit from the Nazarene Church in Nome. They have been so kind to Adrienne and me.
 Grapefruit & tea. I think yes.
 Not only did I get fresh food, but I also received a package from Russia...specifically from Anyisk, a small village of 500 people in Chukotka. My teacher-friend Evgeny in Anyisk teaches English at the school there, and he sent our school a box of beautiful artwork made by his students.



 This one I found to be particularly beautiful.
 I also received a package from Tacy, my sister-in-law. :)
(P.S. Check out her blog at Vox Luminis!)
 So, in my care package, I got Hello Kitty pants (yes), tea, coffee, Phase 10, pens, candy, and hot chocolate. Thanks, Tacy! :)
Yummy!
 The other package came from the lovely Amber. She sent me a handmade purse made out of plastic bags (so cool), postcard from Rome, Mardi Gras beads, and a handmade necklace. You're awesome, Amber!
 The crocheted plastic bag bag. :)


Other musings:

Life is hard, but good.
God is merciful, gracious, and redeeming.
I have seven more weeks on the island.
My time here is going so fast.
Life is a breath of air.
Death is a comma, not a period.

1 comment :

Vicki said...

Hi Meredith!

I have been absent from blogger for quite some time, but it was great to see I still have a reader! I had a chance to look over your posts and amazing pictures. Looks like you have had a wonderful time in the village and will leave with amazing stories and experiences to share with others.

Hope your year finishes up wonderfully!